08 July 2012

Lit: A Christian Guide to Reading Books



In many ways, Lit:  A Christian Guide to Reading Books is the inspiration behind this reading log.  I began reading this book when I was in a "reading rut".  I was initial skeptical of reading a book that was about reading books, but found the book to be practical and motivating as I develop goals for reading.
     The first section of the book outlines Reinke's theology of reading, explaining the importance of reading for the Christian in today's visual, media-oriented culture.  He answer the question, "
why read?", before moving on to the question of "what should I read?"  , Reinke gives practical ideas for tackling literature in different genres.  He provides tips for determining what to read, and encourages readers to read from a balanced menu of fiction and non-fiction.  This section was particularly useful in pushing me out of my "reading rut" and into re-entering the world of literary fiction (long absent from my reading diet), as well as expanding my steady diet of non-fiction books to include a wider range of genres, as well as an increasing number of classing works.
     After addressing the "why" and "what" of reading, Reinke devotes several chapters to the "how" of developing good reading habits.  His chapters include advice on how to protect time for reading, and how to develop a system of marking books.
     Reinke's book about reading is well worth the read- in the months since I have read it, I have been increasingly motivated to carve out time for reading, and have been inspired to branch into areas of reading I otherwise might have neglected.

Purchase from Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment